Using steam cleaners is one of the most effective and cost-effective ways to get rid of bed bugs from your home. You just have to be careful not to overdo the moisture especially in slow-drying surfaces that can form molds. One of the main reasons why you should use steam for bed bugs is that the steam can kill the eggs of these parasites whereas insecticides can only terminate the adult ones.
Things To Look For When Buying Steam Cleaners
When you are decided to buy steam cleaners for your bed bugs problem, you have to remember that not all of this equipment are made the same. You should know what are the things that you have to consider.
Do you need a steamer that can also disinfect the surfaces? How long do you want the product to last? Are there other features that you need? To help you find the best steam cleaner for bed bugs, here are some of the factors that you have to take into consideration:
- There are steam cleaners that are handheld which you can bring when you travel. There are also products that come with plenty of attachments. These are very useful if bed bugs are difficult to locate especially in hard to reach areas. When you are shopping for steam cleaners, choose the ones that have at least one large brush head to easily clean larger areas. The smaller heads are used to focus the pressure on a smaller point.
- As mentioned above, steam cleaners are not built the same. Each of them has different functions and design. Some are built for home use, while others are designed for travel. Smaller ones are convenient especially if you travel a lot, but they also are not built to last long. This is why if durability and longevity is a priority, choose a steam cleaner that is of the larger models. They hold more dirt and water and can last for years.
Reminders When Using Steam Cleaners
When it comes to bed bugs, the steam cleaners can kill even those that are lurking in fabrics or those in hard surfaces. So if you decide to use a steam cleaner, you need to be precise when applying heat. Here are some tips that you can follow:
- Opt for a steamer with a large water reservoir.
- Use a large nozzle.
- Use dry steam or dry vapor to prevent any molds from developing.
- When steaming, heat should be above 120-degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can steam furniture and other hard surfaces like walls and ceilings.
- Wear a respirator to prevent the inhalation of fumes.
- Avoid steaming electrical outlets.
- Avoid applying high heat to areas that may become damaged like finished flooring.
Buying high-quality bed bugs are important if you want the product to last for years and to function as expected. There are so many steam cleaners to choose from these days and no matter which you choose, read reviews online to make sure that you are getting the best steamer for bed bugs.